Jul 19, 2024  
2013 - 2014 Catalog 
2013 - 2014 Catalog [ARCHIVED PUBLICATION]


Residency (Non-Resident Fees)

The Board of Supervisors for the Louisiana Community and Technical Colleges System (LCTCS) has established policies and procedures for determining residency for tuition and fee purposes (LCTCS Policy #2.008 Residency). Eligibility for classification as a Louisiana resident is determined by the Office of Admissions after the completed application for admission and other related documents have been submitted. After enrollment, changes in residency status are made in the Office of the Registrar.

Owning property in Louisiana, paying Louisiana state taxes, or establishing voter privileges in Louisiana do not, in themselves, qualify an applicant for Louisiana residency.

Residency categories are as follows:

  • Have lived and worked in Louisiana for at least one full year
  • Married to a Louisiana resident (as defined by LCTCS policy)
  • A dependent child of a Delgado Community College graduate
  • Dependent child of a Louisiana resident
  • Dependent child of a Louisiana resident living with a legal guardian
  • Permanent resident - must be in possession of Form I-551 (alien permanent resident card) or must show proof of permanent resident approval)

For tuition purposes, a Louisiana resident is defined as one who has, or a dependent person whose parent or legal guardian has, abandoned all prior domiciles and has been domiciled and is employed part-time or full-time in the State of Louisiana continuously for at least one full year (365 days) immediately preceding the first day of classes of the semester of enrollment for which resident classification is sought. Other persons not meeting the 12-month legal residency requirement as defined by the LCTCS may be classified as temporary residents for tuition purposes only if they meet the requirements for one of the following categories.

Temporary Residency Classification Categories:

  • Military Personnel/Spouse/Dependent

An individual on active duty in the Armed Forces currently stationed in Louisiana may be classified as a Temporary Resident upon submission of documentation signed by the unit commander verifying his or her being on active duty and stationed in Louisiana. This classification of Temporary Resident is valid as long as the student remains enrolled and on active duty in Louisiana.

A member of the Armed Forces (including Louisiana National Guard and Reserves) currently stationed in Louisiana on active duty may enroll as a Temporary Resident, including his or her spouse, minor child, or dependent student. A member of the Armed Forces who was eligible for classification as a resident of Louisiana under these regulations immediately prior to entering the Armed Forces retains the right to enroll himself or herself, spouse, and minor child or dependent student as a resident as long as he or she is in the Forces, but the right shall expire upon the person’s being separated from the Armed Forces and residing continuously for a period of at least two years in another state or foreign country.

When a member of the military, who has a spouse, minor child, or dependent student enrolled as a Temporary Resident, is transferred out of the state, the student may continue to attend under this classification as long as the enrollment is continuous, excluding summers. Students classified as Temporary Residents must show proof of their military status or their parent’s or spouse’s military status at each registration period while enrolled and classified as Temporary Residents.

Louisiana residents and their dependents who are on active military duty stationed outside of Louisiana as a direct result of their military service shall be determined to have Temporary Resident student status in Louisiana. Further, former active military personnel and their dependents shall maintain Temporary Resident student status for a period of one calendar year after official separation from military service. After the one year period expires, determination of resident student status for former active military personnel and their dependents shall be governed by the residency guidelines relating to non-military personnel.

  • Visa categories: A, E, G, I, H, K, L
  • Non-U.S. citizen lawfully admitted to the United States as Refugee, Amnesty Alien, Temporary Protective Status

Residency Reclassification

Students in the process of working to have their classification as non-residents changed to residents must present satisfactory written documentation proving that they meet one of the categories to be classified as a Louisiana resident for tuition purposes.

To qualify as a Louisiana resident for tuition purposes, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen; a legal permanent resident; a non-U.S. citizen who can demonstrate that he or she has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence; or meet one of the classifications of temporary resident as defined by the LCTCS above.

Non-U.S. citizens must be a permanent resident in possession of Form I-551 (alien permanent resident card) or proof of approval for such status before beginning the process of establishing residency by meeting the criteria to be classified as a Louisiana resident. Non-U.S. citizens not in possession of Form I-551 are referred to International Student Admissions for determination of residency status.

Non-Louisiana Residency Reclassification Applications, which outline the required supporting documentation, are available in the Office of Admissions and on the Delgado web site (www.dcc.edu). The application along with all supporting documentation must be submitted to the Office of Admissions for new students or to the Office of the Registrar for readmit and continuing students within 21 days after the first day of classes. Appeals of denial for reclassification as non-residents must be submitted to the Admissions Review Committee at the student’s home campus.