In accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (Sec. 513 of P.L. 93- 380, Education Amendments of 1974, which amends the General Education Provisions Act Sec. 438), postsecondary students attending Delgado Community College have access to their official records as follows:
- The right to inspect and review the student’s education records.
- The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights.
- The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that the Act and the regulations authorize disclosure without consent.
- The right to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by the institution to comply with the requirements of the Act and the regulations.
- The right to obtain a copy of the institution’s student record policy.
Under this Act, Delgado Community College assumes that all students are independent. Parents of dependent students must prove such dependence through the presentation of the latest 1040 form filed with the IRS before they will be granted access to any student record of their dependent. The Act provides that certain information, designated as directory information, concerning the student may be released by the College unless the student has informed the College that such information should not be released.
Directory information includes the student’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, date and place of birth, date of enrollment, division in which enrolled, full or part-time status, classification, major, degree(s) earned, awards, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height (of members of athletic teams), and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended. A student who desires that any or all of the above listed information not be released must notify the Office of the Registrar in writing each semester within 10 days after the final day of registration.
Requests for further information should be made to the Office of the Registrar.