Jun 21, 2024  
2018 Summer Student Handbook 
2018 Summer Student Handbook [ARCHIVED PUBLICATION]

Financial Aid

Summer 2018 Financial Aid Information

Financial Aid Steps
Financial Aid Deadlines
Important Information
150% Limit on Subsidized Loans
Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Limit
Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
First-Time Borrowers
Using Financial Aid to Pay for Books
Refund Information
Federal Financial Aid Repayments When Withdrawing from Courses 

Financial Aid Steps

  1. Create ID at fsaid.ed.gov. You MUST have an FSA ID to sign the FAFSA electronically. 
  2. Submit a FAFSA - visit FAFSA.gov. Need help? Visit Delgado’s City Park Campus, Building 2, Room 210 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
  3. Check status in LoLA - submit required documents online or to the nearest Answer Center or Financial Aid office. Document review takes 15 days.
  4. Accept award om LoLA - once all documents are processed, log in to LoLA and accept awards. Select “Student Account” then select “Account Detail for Term” to view authorized aid. Authorized Aid = secured classes.
  5. Bookstore voucher - if you have a “negative” balance, you may be eligible for a bookstore voucher. They are only available for a limited time at the start of each semester.
  6. Disbursements - after the first disbursement (date found in the handbook), they occur within 14 days of accepting award offer.
  7. What are refunds? Refunds are the credit balance remaining after tuition, fees, and bookstore voucher are paid.
  8. Refund selections - Log in to LoLA to make your refund selection.

Need help submitting documents for verification? Make an appointment at https://dccanswercenter.setmore.com/.

Financial Aid Deadlines

All financial aid deadlines can be found at Important Dates (Academic Calendar)   or www.dcc.edu/financialaid.

Important Information

  • Regulations regarding students who attend only one semester: Federal regulations require that student loans awarded for one semester (fall only, spring only, or summer only) must be disbursed in two installments. Loan disbursements will be credited to student accounts at the beginning of the semester and at the mid-point of the semester.

  • Receiving information regarding financial assistance: The Office of Student Financial Assistance will communicate with students via email and it is the student’s responsibility to monitor their preferred email address regularly as well as the email address that was provided when completing FAFSA. If students would prefer not to receive Financial Aid communications and award notifications via email, they must submit a request in writing to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. 

  • Contacting Financial Aid for assistance: We offer face to face advising - please visit your financial aid counselor or call 1-855-215-8247, or email finaid@dcc.edu. We also offer an online chat service http://www.dcc.edu/financialaid. Please allow 24 hours response time during regular scheduled hours.           

  • Federal tax transcripts required: Delgado has established a partnership with Inceptia to expedite the federal verification process by utilizing the Verification Gateway (VG) online portal. If a student’s FAFSA application is selected for verification by the U.S Department of Education, you will receive an introductory email to the email address you provided on the FAFSA. Provide documents as quickly as possible in order to ensure complete processing prior to the first payment deadline.

150% Limit on Subsidized Loans

Delgado Community College students cannot receive subsidized loans for more than 150 percent of the published length of the borrower’s educational program. The law also provides that a borrower who becomes ineligible for subsidized loans because of the 150 percent limit is ineligible for interest subsidy benefits on all subsidized loans first disbursed to that borrower on or after July 1, 2013.

If you are a first time borrower on or after July 1, 2013, there is a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) that you can receive federal direct subsidized loans.  The time limit does not apply to federal direct unsubsidized loans or Direct PLUS loans.  If this limit applies to you, you may not receive Direct Subsidized loans for more that 150 percent of the published length of your program.  This is called your “maximum eligibility period.  Your maximum eligible period is based on the published length of your current program.  You can find the published length of any program of study in the academic section of the catalog.

Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Limit

The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by a new federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. Because the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding you can receive each year is equal to 100 percent, the new regulations states that a student may receive up to 12 semesters or the six-year equivalent of 600 percent.

Whether you have used all of your Pell Grant eligibility or only a portion, please be conscious about the lifetime limit of the Pell Grant when changing majors and/or scheduling classes; the Pell Grant equivalent of 600 percent will be for your entire award history.

Can I see my lifetime Pell Grant used? YES! You may view your lifetime Pell Grant percentage used by simply logging into www.nslds.ed.gov. The information will include all Pell Grants received over your lifetime from any college, not just Delgado Community College. If you have not reached 600 percent of lifetime eligibility, you may have some Pell Grant eligibility remaining, if eligible.

To view your Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU), you can log on using your Federal Student Aid PIN to National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS®) at www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/ to view your LEU. The LEU will be found on the Financial Aid Review page.

For additional information on the Pell Grant Program please visit http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-scholarships/pell/calculate-eligibility.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

The federal government mandates that students maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward completion of their degrees/certificates/technical diplomas within a reasonable period of time in order to be eligible for Title IV financial aid programs (includes grants, work-study, loans). The Financial Aid SAP policy is different from the College’s Academic Standing Policy.

To be eligible to receive Federal Student Aid, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined in the College Catalog for this academic year. You may also review the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy at http://www.dcc.edu/student-services/financialaid/satisfactory-academic-progress/default.aspx

Students are expected to monitor their own SAP and consult with the Office of Student Financial Assistance when they have questions or concerns. The Office of Student Financial Assistance provides electronic notices to students at the end of semesters. Students can also review their current SAP status by reviewing their Financial Aid account in LoLA, Delgado’s student services portal. It is imperative that students keep their preferred email address updated with Delgado Community College and check their Delgado student email (preferred) on a regular basis.  Failure to monitor SAP or not understand how SAP works is no basis for an appeal.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progression (SAP) is reviewed after each semester.  

For more information visit http://www.dcc.edu/student-services/financialaid/satisfactory-academic-progress/default.aspx

First-Time Borrowers

There are two important steps that first-time borrowers must be aware of:

  1. All first-time borrowers must complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling at www.studentloans.gov.
  2. Federal regulations require that the College delay disbursement first-time borrowers until 30 days after the start of classes.

Using Financial Aid to Pay for Books

If you are eligible to receive a Pell Grant or student loan, have authorized aid, and your account has a credit balance (negative balance) after your tuition and fees have been paid, books may be purchased using bookstore voucher for students. You may purchase up to $900 in books and supplies in the College contracted bookstore or online. The timeline normally expires after the first week of school. Visit http://www.dcc.edu/student-services/registration-information/bookstorecredit.aspx for more information.    

Refund Information

At the time financial assistance is disbursed, or credited to your student account, applicable outstanding charges will be deducted, and any excess credit balance will be refunded to you within 14 days after the credit balance appears on your student account.

Delgado Community College has partnered with BankMobile (formerly HigherOne) to deliver refunds to students. Upon your first semester/session of enrollment, you will receive a lime green envelope in the mail from BankMobile containing your Refund Selection Kit. . 

Your Refund Selection Kit will contain a unique Personal Code with is the key to selecting your refund choice. You will have the option to deposit your refund to a BankMobile account or have it deposited directly to your own bank account. You must follow the directions included in the mailing to either activate your account or set up a direct deposit. Please be on the lookout for it and don’t mistake it for junk mail. Delgado will NOT issue refund checks, so students MUST use the Refund Selection Kit and/or Personal Code to select a refund preference. 

Federal Financial Aid Repayments When Withdrawing from Courses

When a student completely withdraws from the College during an academic period for which he or she is the recipient of Title IV funds, the College is required to determine whether the return of Title IV funds must be made according to statutory and regulatory requirements. The rules that govern the return of Title IV Funds assume that a student earns his or her assistance based upon the period of time that the student remained enrolled.

Explanation of terms:

  • Disbursements (disburse or disbursed) - payment of the loan funds to the borrower by the school. Students generally receive their federal student loan in two disbursements.
  • Earned - the percentage amount of Title IV aid that the student receives.
  • Unearned - the difference between Title IV aid that was disbursed or could have been disbursed for the payment period or period of enrollment and the amount of Title IV aid that was earned when a student withdrew.
  • Attendance - Delgado Community College is a non-attendance* taking institution for the purposes of Return of Title IV Funds regulations. *Visit Dropping Courses or Withdrawing from the College   a full definition and exceptions.


Federal Title IV funding is “earned” aid as of the date the student ceased attendance based on the amount of time the student spent in attendance or, in the case of a clock-hour program, was scheduled to be in attendance.

Students that have completed a minimum of 60 percent in each payment period or period of enrollment would require a pro rate schedule is used to determine the amount of Title IV funds the student has earned at the time of withdrawal After the 60% payment period or period of enrollment, a student has earned 100 percent of the Title IV funds he or she was scheduled to receive during the period.

Post Withdrawal Disbursements

Federal regulations require that a calculation be completed to determine how Title IV funds are handled when a recipient of those funds withdraws from school. A statutory schedule is used to determine the amount of Title IV Funds a student has earned as of the date he or she ceases attendance. A student is eligible to receive a “Post-Withdrawal Disbursement” (PWD) if the student ceases attendance prior to the student’s aid package being processed. A student may receive the amount of Title IV funds that have been earned based upon the number of days the student attended classes

Federal aid  is “disbursed” if a student could have received it at that point of academic period when the student withdraws from the College. Total disbursable assistance includes the amount of funding that was disbursed and that which could have been disbursed; however it was not, based on the student’s date of withdrawal. A student who remains enrolled at the College beyond the 60 percent point of an academic period is presumed to have earned all assistance for that period. Unearned Title IV funds, other than Federal Work Study, must be returned.

Return of Title IV

Unearned assistance is the amount of disbursed Title IV funds that exceed the amount of Title IV funds earned under statutory and regulatory guidelines. The responsibility to repay unearned Title IV funds is shared by the College and the student in proportion to the Title IV funds each is assumed to possess. The College will notify, in writing, a student who is required to repay and return unearned Title IV funds before the end of the enrollment period.

The requirements for the treatment of Title IV funds, when a student withdraws, apply to any recipient of Title IV grant or loan funds that ceases all attendance. A recipient of grant or loan assistance is a student who has actually received Title IV funds or has met the conditions that entitled the student to a late disbursement. The return requirements apply only to the receipt of or qualification for aid that can be included in the calculation.