May 18, 2024  
2012 - 2013 Catalog 
2012 - 2013 Catalog [ARCHIVED PUBLICATION]


Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is an entitlement program. It is awarded to help undergraduates pay for their college education. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be paid back. Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree are ineligible for a Pell Grant. To qualify for a Pell Grant the student must have financial need and be enrolled in a degree-seeking program on a full- or part-time basis.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG money is limited and available only for those who have exceptional financial need. Students with exceptional financial need are those who are eligible for a Pell Grant, have the lowest expected family contribution, enrolled at least half-time, and still have unmet financial need.

Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP, formerly SSIG)

The LEAP grant is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis for those students who meet the requirements stated below. The priority deadline is May 1. Funds are limited. The amount awarded is determined by the funds available in a given year.

To be eligible for consideration, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Be a Louisiana resident for at least one year.
  • Have graduated from high school with at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA, or a minimum average score of 45 on the GED, or at least a 20 on the ACT or a cumulative postsecondary GPA of at least 2.00
  • Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student.
  • Annually apply for federal and state student aid.
  • Have financial need of at least $199.
  • Not be in default on an educational loan nor owe a repayment on an educational scholarship or grant.

Federal College Work-Study (FCWS)

The College Work-Study Program provides jobs to earn money for school expense. The amount of award is based on need and availability of funds. College Work-Study pays at least the minimum wage, and the student is paid approximately every two weeks.

Community Service Work-Study involves working on- or off-campus in a community service position.

FCWS Requirements:

In addition to meeting the general eligibility requirements, students wishing to be considered for FCWS:

  1. Must have financial need as determined by FAFSA, and
  2. Be enrolled (at least half-time) in a course of study leading to a degree or certificate.

Campus Work-Study

The Campus Work-Study Program is a state funded program that does not require financial need to apply. Students may apply by completing the application for student employment. In addition, students must be enrolled at least half-time.