2019 - 2020 Catalog [ARCHIVED PUBLICATION]
Medical Laboratory Technician, A.A.S.
DEGREE: ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE
DIVISION: ALLIED HEALTH
The Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) performs scientific, diagnostic tests in the medical laboratory to help physicians detect, diagnose, treat, and prevent disease. The medical laboratory combines the latest computer technology with scientific instrumentation to create a challenging and ever expanding workplace. The MLT works with microscopes, computers, and instruments on body fluids, tissues, and cells. MLT graduates are employed in hospital laboratories, clinics, doctors’ offices, blood banks, research and commercial laboratories.
The Medical Laboratory Technician Program is a 24 month program which accepts one class each year in January. The deadline for application to this limited admissions program is October 1.
To be considered for admission to the program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Successfully completed all prerequisite courses.
- Possess a cumulative college grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0.
- Be able to meet program’s technical standards/essential functions.
Prerequisites: MATH 120 - Contemporary Math ; ENGL 101 - English Composition I or ENGL 110 Intensive English Composition I ; BIOL 161 - Introductory Anatomy and Physiology , and BIOL 163 - Introductory Anatomy and Physiology Laboratory or BIOL 251 Human Anatomy and Physiology I and BIOL 253 Human Anatomy and Physiology I Laboratory .
The Medical Laboratory Technician Associate of Applied Science degree program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences, 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, Il. 60018, phone: 773-714-8880, fax: 773-714-8886, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.naacls.org
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of the Medical Laboratory Technician Associate of Applied Science program, the learner will be able to:
- Master clinical competencies to function as a certified medical laboratory technician (SLO # 1)
- Determine and perform appropriate action(s) to maintain quality assurance and quality control in all aspects of laboratory service including pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical processes (SLO # 2)
- Comply with practices and policies that maintain ethical and professional behavior (SLO # 3)
- Collaborate with other health care workers using effective and appropriate verbal, nonverbal, and written communication skills (SLO # 4)
- Comply with established laboratory safety regulations (SLO # 5)
- Generate accurate patient results in all areas of the laboratory including hematology, chemistry, microbiology, blood banking, urinalysis, and serology by ensuring proper collection, transportation, preparation, and analysis of samples (SLO # 6)
- Interpret results for clinical significance and follow up on all discrepancies in clinical data (SLO # 7)