CERTIFICATE OF TECHNICAL STUDIES PROGRAM
SCHOOL OF HEALTH SCIENCES - SCHOOL OF ALLIED HEALTH H
The Advanced-Level Pharmacy Technician program prepares students for practice as Advanced-Level pharmacy technicians, in a broad range of advanced roles in a variety of contemporary settings (e.g., community, hospital, home care, long-term care), and has student acquire additional knowledge, skills, behaviors, and abilities beyond those of the Entry-Level pharmacy technician, needed for such advanced practice.
The Pharmacy Technician program at Delgado Community College is a three semester, full-time program of combined clinical and classroom education. Upon successful completion, students are eligible to take the National Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
The program is a limited enrollment program with program, which starts in the fall semester. Deadline for applications is March 1.
To be eligible to apply to the Advance-Level Pharmacy Technician program, students must meet the following criteria:
- Successful completion of the requirements for the C.T.C. in Entry-Level Pharmacy Technician program with a minimum combined grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 in all PHAR courses or a minimum of three years experience as a nationally certified pharmacy technician (CPhT). Prospective students must have maintained their national certification for a minimum of three years and have no sanctions or pending sanctions by the Board of Pharmacy. References will be required. Prospective students will be evaluated for prior practical learning and may be required to complete additional courses as identified by the program director.
- Be able to meet the program’s technical standards.
- Meet all college entry requirements.
The Advanced-Level Pharmacy Technician Certificate of Technical Studies program is accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), 7272 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20814, phone: 301-664-8791, email@example.com.
The College also offers a Career and Technical Certificate program in Pharmacy Technician: Entry-level Pharmacy Technician. Learn more about this program.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of the Advanced-Level Pharmacy Technician Certificate of Technical Studies program, the learner will be able to:
- Accurately perform advanced pharmaceutical calculations required of an Advanced-Level pharmacy technician (SLO # 1)
- Prepare compounded medications, including sterile preparations per applicable, current UPS chapters, while applying best practices (SLO # 2)
- Apply critical thinking in matters of conflict resolution, teamwork, customer service, and supervision of other pharmacy technician personnel (SLO # 3)
- Apply critical thinking skills related to math, pharmacology, and pharmacy operations needed for an Advanced-level pharmacy technician (SLO #4)
- Collaborate with the pharmacy team, under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist, in the administration of the patient care process, including medication therapy management, handling of investigational drugs, and inventory control (SLO # 5)