TECHNICAL DIPLOMA PROGRAM
DIVISION: CHARITY SCHOOL OF NURSING
Successful completion of this program qualifies the graduate to take the National Council Licensure Examination for state licensure as a practical nurse (LPN). An LPN provides general nursing care under the direction of a registered nurse and/or a licensed physician. This program is accredited by the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners, 3421 N. Causeway Blvd., Suite 203, Metairie, LA 70002-3711.
Classes begin in the fall and spring. All developmental English, reading, and mathematics courses must be completed in May for all Fall enrollment, and by August for spring enrollment. This is a limited enrollment program. Prospective students should contact the Admissions Office on the Charity Campus at 504-571-1280. Information may also be obtained on-line at www.dcc.edu, or by writing to 450 South Claiborne Ave., New Orleans, LA 70112.
Students are eligible to apply to the practical nursing program when they have met the following criteria:
- A high school diploma or GED.
- Eligibility for MATH 118 and ENGL 101 by the May or August admission date. (Note: Course completion is not required, but developmental courses must be completed by this time).
- Minimum scores on a pre-nursing entrance exam. Delgado Community College Practical Nursing program accepts test scores from the TABE, COMPASS, NET, or ACT exams for admission to the PN program.
- COMPASS: Reading – 82; Language – 60; Math – 44
- TABE: Reading – 11.0 grade level; Language – 11.0 grade level; Math – 10.5 grade level
- NET: Reading – 56; Language – 63; Math – 57
- ACT: Reading – 19; Language – 17; Math –17
To schedule a test, applicants should contact the Office of Advising and Testing, Building 10, Room 131 B, City Park Campus (504) 671-5080.
- An overall college grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or greater in any college work attempted.
- A Delgado Community College overall GPA of 2.0 or greater.
- May not have a record of pleading guilty or no contest to, or a conviction of a felony.
The Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners reserves the right to deny a student admission to clinical nursing courses based on results of a preliminary criminal records check. Additionally, LSBPNE requires that U.S. citizenship or a Declaration of Intent must be held in order for a graduate of the program to apply for P.N. licnesure. Note: Fingerprinting, criminal background check, credential evaluation, and drug screening are done upon admission. Results may prevent enrollment in nursing courses. Additionally, specific health requirements must be met.
DMTP 101 , BIOL 161 and BIOL 163 may be completed before enrollment in the first nursing courses, or must be taken with the first nursing courses. BIOL 251 , BIOL 252 , BIOL 253 , and BIOL 254 may be taken as a substitute for BIOL 161 and BIOL 163 Any of these courses must have been completed within four years of initial enrollment in the Practical Nursing program with a grade of “B” or higher. BIOL 251 , BIOL 252 , BIOL 253 , and BIOL 254 may be transferable for articulation into a Registered Nursing program.
Note: A student transferring credits from a nursing program must have earned a grade of 80% or higher to have credit evaluated for transfer.
The Delgado Community College Practical Nursing Program reserves the right to make changes mandated by the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners that may affect admission requirements, academic policies, and/or other rules and regulations. Delgado will make every attempt to provide adequate and reasonable notice to applicants and students impacted by the change. Current information is available on the Delgado website and at the Charity Campus Admissions Office. It is the responsibility of the student to keep appraised of current changes in requirements.