Apr 24, 2024  
2013 Spring Student Handbook 
2013 Spring Student Handbook [ARCHIVED PUBLICATION]

Financial Assistance

Applying for Financial Assistance

At Delgado Community College, we want to provide you with the best financial assistance package possible. In order to be considered for assistance from non-federal as well as federal sources, you must complete the FAFSA and submit any financial assistance documents/forms requested.

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. (Delgado’s school code is 004626.)
  2. Check the status of your application through LoLA at and submit required documents.
    • Submit completed forms to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. Please allow 45 days fomr the day you submit your last document for processing.
    • You must submit proof of high school graduation or college transcript to the Admissions Office before financial aid can be processed.
    • You must accept the Terms and Conditions before your award letter can be viewed.
  3. Accept your award online.
    • Once your aid is processed, you will receive notification via your Delgado student e-mail address.
    • You must accept of decline each federal subsidized and unsubsidized loan, or nothing will disburse.
  4. Disbursement: posting of financial aid funds to a student’s Delgado account. Students can check their account balance by logging in to LoLA.

Additional Information

  • Receiving information regarding financial assistance: The Office of Student Financial Assistance will communicate with students via email and it is the student’s responsibility to monitor Delgado email regularly as well as the email address that was provided when completing FAFSA. If students would prefer not to receive Financial Aid communications and award notifications via email, they must submit a request in writing to the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

  • Federal tax transcripts required: If you are required to submit your tax information, you must obtain a tax transcript from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Request a tax transcript by calling IRS at 1-800-908-9946. The Office of Student Financial Assistance is no longer allowed to accept copies of personal tax returns from students and/or parents.

  • Federal regulations require that student loans awarded for one semester (Fall, Spring, or Summer only) must be disbursed in two installments. Loan disbursements will be credited to student accounts at the beginning of the semester and at the mid-point of the semester.   

Financial Assistance Deadlines

  1. FAFSA Priority Deadline: October 15, 2012 - FAFSA must be processed by the federal goverment by this date.
  2. FAFSA First Document Deadline: December 7, 2012 - All documents must be submitted by this date to be considered for an award letter and eligible for a bookstore credit.
  3. FAFSA Second Document Deadline: January 9, 2013 - All documents must be submitted by this date to be considered for a promissory note which will secure classes, but will not provide a bookstore credit.
  4. Loans — To apply for an educational loan to help pay the cost of attending school, you must have received a response to your free application for financial assistance. The deadline to apply for a loan is April 26, 2013.
  5. First Financial Aid Appeal Deadline: January 7, 2013 - Appeal and supporting documentation must be submitted by deadline in order to be reviewed in time to secure classes with a promissory note (no bookstore credit.)
  6. Second Financial Aid Appeal Deadline: February 22, 2013 - Appeal and supporting documentation must be submitted by deadline in order to be considered. Students who miss the first appeal deadline must be prepared to pay the entire balance out of pocket, but can be reimbursed if Financial Aid appeal is approved and processed. 

Satisfactory Progress

To be eligible to receive Federal Student Aid, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined in the College Catalog for this academic year. You may also review the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy at www.dcc.edu/departments/financialaid/sap.

If you fail to meet the required standard, your eligibility for financial assistance might be suspended. In the event of exceptional mitigating circumstances, you may appeal your suspension of your eligibility to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee in writing. Appeal forms may be obtained from the Office of Student Financial Assistance or online at www.dcc.edu/CurrentStudents/FinancialAid/Forms.  

First-time Borrowers

Federal regulations require that the College delay delivering the proceeds of educational loans to first-time borrowers until 30 days after the start of classes. Therefore, student loan funds for first-time borrowers will not be disbursed to their accounts before February 19, 2013.

In addition, all first-time borrowers must receive loan counseling before loan funds can be disbursed. Students must complete a Master Promissory Note and entrance loan counseling at www.studentloans.gov.  


If you are eligible to receive a Pell Grant or student loan and have authorized aid, or your account has a credit balance (negative balance) after your tuition and fees have been paid,  and you have authorized the College to use your Title IV funds to pay non-institutional charges, you may purchase books in the College contracted bookstore online at dcc1.bkstore.com. Visit www.dcc.edu/departments/studentaffairs/reg/bookstorecredit for more information.  

Refund Information

At the time financial assistance is disbursed, or credited to your student account, applicable outstanding charges will be deducted, and any excess credit balance will be refunded to you via your Delgado Dolphin One Card within 14 days after the credit balance appears on your student account. The Dolphin One Card will be mailed to your mailing address on file. Please verify your address at my.lctcs.edu or at the Registrar’s Office at your respective Delgado location. Once you receive the card, please log on at dolphinonecard.com to select your refund preference (direct deposit or Higher One fast refund.)   

Federal Financial Assistance Repayments

When a student completely withdraws from the College during an academic period for which he or she is the recipient of Title IV funds, the College is required to determine whether the return of Title IV funds must be made according to statutory and regulatory requirements. The rules that govern the return of Title IV Funds assume that a student earns his or her assistance based upon the period of time that the student remained enrolled.

During the first 60 percent of an enrollment period, a student “earns” Title IV funds in direct proportion to the length of time that he or she remains enrolled. The percentage of time during an academic period that a student remained enrolled is the percentage of dispersible assistance for that period that the student earned.

Assistance is “dispersible” if a student could have received it at that point of academic period when the student withdraws from the College. Total dispersible assistance includes that which was disbursed and that which could have been, but was not, disbursed as of the student’s date of withdrawal. A student who remains enrolled at the College beyond the 60 percent point of an academic period is presumed to have earned all assistance for that period. Unearned Title IV funds, other than Federal Work Study, must be returned.

Unearned assistance is the amount of disbursed Title IV funds that exceed the amount of Title IV funds earned under statutory and regulatory guidelines. The responsibility to repay unearned Title IV funds is shared by the College and the student in proportion to the Title IV funds each is assumed to possess. The College will notify, in writing, a student who is required to repay and return unearned Title IV funds before the end of the enrollment period.