CERTIFICATE OF TECHNICAL STUDIES PROGRAM
DIVISION: ALLIED HEALTH
The Pharmacy Technician program provides academic and clinical education in pharmacy practice. The program includes instruction in pharmacology, pharmacy calculations, clinical practice, preparing and dispensing medications, classification of drugs, sterile products and materials management. The skills of the pharmacy technician complement those of the registered pharmacist.
The Pharmacy Technician program at Delgado Community College is a two semester, full-time program of combined clinical and classroom education. Upon successful completion, students are eligible to take the National Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
The program is a limited enrollment program. Selection into the program is based on the candidate’s overall qualities, including college and professional education background, grade averages, character references, evidence of basic skills, interpersonal relations, and an interest in the pharmacy profession. Applicants must be able to meet the program’s technical standards. The admissions committee for the Allied Health Division evaluates all applicants. Prospective students should contact the Allied Health Admissions Office for admissions criteria. Students must be enrolled in or have completed PHAR-109: Body Systems, Diseases, and Drugs to apply to the program. To be eligible to apply to the Pharmacy Technician program, students must meet the following criteria:
- Must provide evidence of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Successfully complete all prerequisite courses ( , PHAR 108 , and ).
- Earn a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all college courses.
- Have completed the prerequisites for MATH 128 and ENGL 101 , documented by placement test score or developmental course completion.
- Be able to meet the program’s technical standards.
- Meet all college entry requirements.
The Pharmacy Technician Certificate of Technical Studies program is accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists, 7272 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20814, phone: 301-664-8791, email@example.com.