DEGREE: ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE
DIVISION: BUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGY
In keeping with the mission statement of Delgado Community College, the Culinary Arts Department provides academic instruction through both theoretical and hands-on experiences, as well as practical work experience in the field of food service, culinary arts & pastry arts. The goals of the culinary arts degree and certificate programs are to provide students and persons already in the workforce with (a) preparation for gainful employment at entry level and mid-management culinary positions in the restaurant industry, (b) training to upgrade skills for certifications, and (c) education for promotions and increased wages. The Culinary Arts Department program objectives include: maintaining programmatic standards at or above those set forth by the American Culinary Federation Foundation Accrediting Commission; providing adequate and relevant instruction for success in the restaurant and foodservice industry; furnishing instruction through credentialed faculty with extensive industry experience and training; encouraging a high standard of professionalism to students, faculty, and staff; and providing students with well-maintained equipment and facilities that mimic current industry standards and trends.
Students in the Culinary Arts Associate degree program choose from two concentrations: 1) Professional Culinarian, or 2) Baking and Pastry Arts.
Designed to prepare students for a successful career in food preparation and management in the food industry, this concentration can be applied to many aspects of the professional kitchen including restaurant or hotel chef, catering professional, institutional foodservice food production and many more.
BAKING AND PASTRY ARTS:
The concentration in Pastry Arts serves students seeking occupations in hotels, restaurants, pastry shops, and in-store and individually owned bakeries. The concentration is designed to provide trained professionals for entry-level positions in the baking/pastry industry.
In order to be accepted to the Associate of Applied Science degree program, the student must meet the following criteria. He or she:
1. Must be 18 years of age; documentation required.
2. Must successfully complete the application packet, which includes the Culinary Arts Application, two reference letters, and documentation of high school diploma or equivalent.
3. Must have been admitted to Delgado (submitted application and all college transcripts or ACT scores).
4. Must have the correct major listed in the Banner system.
5. Must be ready to register in ENGL 101 OR ENLG 110 and MATH 098 as determined by college transcripts or Delgado placement exams.
6. Must attend the faculty informational interview.
7. Must attend Program Director interview
The College offers Certificate programs in Culinary Management, Pastry Arts, and Culinary Arts: Line Cook. Learn more about these programs:
Culinary Management, C.T.S.
Pastry Arts, C.T.S.
Culinary Arts: Line Cook, C.T.S.