TECHNICAL DIPLOMA PROGRAM
Successful completion of this program qualifies the graduate to take the National Council Licensure Examination for state licensure as a practical nurse (LPN). An LPN provides general nursing care under the direction of a registered nurse and/or a licensed physician. This program is accredited by the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners, 131 Airline Drive, Suite 301, Metairie, LA 70001.
All developmental English, reading, and mathematics courses must be completed prior to enrollment. Information may be obtained on-line at www.dcc.edu/academics/charity-school-nursing/default.aspx.
Students are eligible to apply to the practical nursing program when they have met the following criteria:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Eligibility for MATH 120 and ENGL 101 or ENGL 110 by the admission date. (Note: Course completion is not required, but developmental courses must be completed by this time).
- Minimum scores on the COMPASS, TABE, or ACT exam.
- ACCUPLACER: Reading – 65; Language – 74; Math – Elementary Algebra - 48
- TABE: Reading – 12.0 grade level; Language – 12.0 grade level; Math – 12.0 grade level
- ACT: Reading – 20; Language – 17; Math –18
To schedule a test, applicants should contact the Office of Advising and Testing, Building 2, Room 307, City Park Campus (504) 671-5080.
- Minimum score on a pre-nursing admission exam.
- A Delgado Community College overall GPA of 2.0 or greater.
- May not have a record of pleading guilty or no contest to, or a conviction of a felony.
LSBPNE requires that U.S. citizenship or permanent residency must be held in order for a graduate of the program to apply for P.N. licensure. Note: Fingerprinting, criminal background check, credential evaluation, and drug screening are done upon admission. Results may prevent enrollment in nursing courses. Additionally, specific health requirements must be met.
HESC 109 , BIOL 161 and BIOL 163 must be completed within three years of initial enrollment in PN program. BIOL 251 , BIOL 252 , BIOL 253 , and BIOL 254 may be taken as a substitute for BIOL 161 and BIOL 163 Any of these courses must have been completed within three years of initial enrollment in the Practical Nursing program with a grade of “B” or higher. BIOL 251 , BIOL 252 , BIOL 253 , and BIOL 254 may be taken as a substitute for BIOL 161 and BIOL 163 , and may be transferable for articulation into a Registered Nursing program.
Note: A student transferring credits from a nursing program must have earned a grade of 80% or higher to have credit evaluated for transfer.
The Delgado Community College Practical Nursing Program reserves the right to make changes mandated by the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners that may affect admission requirements, academic policies, and/or other rules and regulations. Delgado will make every attempt to provide adequate and reasonable notice to applicants and students impacted by the change. Current information is available on the Delgado website and at the Charity Campus Admissions Office. It is the responsibility of the student to keep appraised of current changes in requirements.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of the Practical Nursing Technical Diploma program, the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate the use of scientific knowledge and proper medical terminology when implementing nursing care (SLO #1)
- Use the nursing process as a framework to deliver care to patients of all ages in a variety of clinical settings (SLO #2)
- Follow basic principles of nursing practice and legal standards to perform skills (SLO #3)
- Participate as a member of the health care team to promote, maintain, and restore health (SLO #4)
- Develop strategies that promote ongoing personal and professional adjustments for employment as a practical nurse (SLO #5)