CERTIFICATE OF TECHNICAL STUDIES PROGRAM
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
The Pastry Arts Certificate of Technical Studies serves students seeking occupations in hotels, restaurants, pastry shops, in-store and individually owned bakeries. The program is designed to provide trained personnel for entry-level positions in the baking/pastry industry.
Students are eligible for admission to the Pastry Arts CTS if they meet the following criteria:
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Score on the ACT, SAT or Delgado College Placement Test sufficient to place the student in the following college courses:
- ENGL 101 or ENGL 110
- MATH 098
- Complete the application for admission to the Culinary Arts Department process.
Students not eligible to register for MATH 098 must enroll and pass MATH 092 with a grade of “C” or better before acceptance into the Pastry Arts program.
The College offers Certificate programs in Culinary Arts: Line Cook, Culinary Management, and an Associate Degree in Culinary Arts. Learn more about these programs:
Culinary Management, C.T.S.
Culinary Arts: Line Cook, C.T.S.
Culinary Arts, A.A.S.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of the Pastry Arts Certificate program, the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate skills necessary to prepare breads, sweets, confections, cakes, and desserts for various culinary operations, including restaurants, catering firms, hotels, and wholesale and resale bakeries (SLO #1)
- Use kitchen mathematics (SLO #2)
- Apply knowledge of safety and sanitation in a kitchen/classroom environment (SLO #3)
- Use personal and professional ethics and interpersonal skills expected in the workplace (SLO #4)
- Identify procedures relating to purchasing and menu management (SLO #5)