CERTIFICATE OF TECHNICAL STUDIES PROGRAM
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
In keeping with the mission statement of Delgado Community College, the Culinary Arts Department provides academic instruction through both theoretical and hands-on experiences, as well as supervised practical work experience in the field of food service, culinary arts, and the hospitality industry. The goals of the culinary arts degree and certificate programs are to provide students and persons already in the workforce with (a) preparation for entry level and mid-management culinary positions in the restaurant industry, (b) training to upgrade skills for certifications, and (c) education for promotions and increased wages. The Culinary Arts Department program objectives include: maintaining programmatic standards at or above those set forth by the American Culinary Federation Foundation Accrediting Commission; providing adequate and relevant instruction for success in the restaurant industry; furnishing instruction through credentialed faculty with extensive industry experience and training; encouraging a high standard of professionalism in students, faculty, and staff; and providing students with well-maintained equipment and facilities that mimic current industry standards and trends.
The Certificate of Technical Studies program prepares students to work in service, production, fast foods, and baking areas of the food service industry.
Students are eligible for admission to the Line Cook C.T.S. if they meet the following criteria:
1. Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent
2. Score on the ACT, SAT, or Placement Test to place in the following courses:
a. ENGL 101 OR ENGL 110
b. MATH 098
The College offers Certificate programs in Pastry Arts, Culinary Management, and an Associate Degree program in Culinary Arts. Learn more about these programs:
Culinary Management, C.T.S.
Pastry Arts, C.T.S
Culinary Arts, A.A.S .
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of the Culinary Arts: Line Cook Certificate program, the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate skills in various cooking techniques in hot and cold food production (SLO #1)
- Use kitchen mathematics (SLO #2)
- Apply knowledge of safety and sanitation in a kitchen/classroom environment (SLO #3)
- Demonstrate the personal and professional ethics and interpersonal skills expected in the workplace (SLO #4)
- Identify procedures relating to purchasing and menu management (SLO #5)