Jul 20, 2024  
2022 Fall Student Handbook 
2022 Fall Student Handbook [ARCHIVED PUBLICATION]

Dropping Courses or Withdrawing from the College

Each student is responsible for dropping classes or withdrawing from College if he/she is unable to complete the course(s). Failure to do so may lead to a lower or failing grade in a course and an outstanding financial obligation. Students may drop classes or withdraw from College in accordance with the Dropping Classes/Withdrawing from College procedures outlined in the current College Catalog. In addition, students may request reinstatement into a dropped class through the Reinstatement Procedures as outlined in the current College Catalog.

Delgado is a non-attendance* taking institution for the purposes of Return of Title IV Funds regulations (*with the exception of online courses and programs that are required by an external agency to have attendance taken). See the current College Catalog sections on Return of Title IV Funds and Attendance.

Students are responsible for all course content and are responsible for understanding course-specific attendance policies and should plan accordingly as listed in the course syllabi. Failure to do so may lead to a lower or failing grade in a course and an outstanding financial obligation.

A student is responsible for dropping classes or withdrawing from College if he/she is unable to complete the course(s). Failure to officially drop a course or withdraw from the College may result in the student receiving an “F” in the course. Instructors will continue to be required to drop a student for “non-attendance” prior to Census class day, but after the Census day, students must drop classes/withdraw from College themselves. 

Sometimes, things happen that may prevent a student from completing a semester after classes start. It is our hope at Delgado Community College that you enjoy a full growth experience during the approaching school year. In light of the possibility that an emergency may prevent you from completing your intended studies, you need to be aware of the financial impact a withdrawal from Delgado can cause.

Tuition Adjustment Information before the Census Day 

A tuition adjustment is an adjustment in the amount of tuition owed by a student to Delgado Community College.  This will take place if a student elects to withdraw before the official Census class day. Adjustments to tuition will be made according to the below schedule regardless of the date of your registration (or late registration). Students who register after the 100 percent tuition adjustment period ends and then drop a course or withdraw will receive a tuition adjustment in accordance with the dates on which they dropped. Registration fees are non-refundable after the 100% adjustment period. There are no tuition adjustments made after the Census class day. Students will owe Delgado Community College the full amount of tuition and fees applied to the students’ accounts.

Fall 2022 Tuition Adjustments Schedule At-A-Glance

Semester / Session

Fall 2022

Fall 2022
8-Week Session 1

Fall 2022
8-Week Session 2

Start Date

August 13

August 15

October 5

100% Tuition Adjustment

Through August 23

Through August 19

Through October 12

50% Tuition Adjustment

August 24 - 29

August 20 - 22

October 13 - 17

No Tuition Adjustment

After August 29

After August 22

After October 17

After tuition adjustment period, students are responsible for full tuition and fee rates, regardless of withdrawal or attendance.

If you paid out-of-pocket for classes and you are due money from dropping or withdrawing, a credit balance (negative balance) will appear within 24 - 48 hours. All refunds will begin processing after the official Census class day.

Enrollment Status Financial Aid Eligibility

In accordance with federal regulations, the Office of Financial Aid will recalculate Federal and State aid based on the enrollment status as of the pell recalculation date (PRD) set by the College. The PRD is the point at which your enrollment is locked, and it can be found in the Important Dates (Academic Calendar)  section of the handbook. Federal Pell Grant funds may be available to students enrolled less than half-time. See year round Pell for exceptions.

Awards that are affected by the PRD are:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • GO Grant

Note: Direct loans are recalculated prior to disbursement.

Treatment of Title IV Aid When a Student Withdraws

The law specifies how your Delgado Community College must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are Federal Pell Grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, TEACH Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs), Direct Loans, and Direct PLUS Loans.

Though your aid is posted to your account at the start of each period, you earn the funds as you complete the period. If you withdraw during your period of enrollment, the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received (or Delgado or parent received on your behalf) less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds in the form of a post-withdrawal disbursement. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or you.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If your post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, you must provide Delgado with confirmation before it can disburse them. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you don’t incur additional debt. Delgado Community College may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition and fees. Delgado needs your permission to use the post-withdrawal grant disbursement for non-institutional charges.

There are some Title IV funds that you were scheduled to receive that cannot be disbursed to you once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if you are a first-time, first-year undergraduate student and you have not completed the first 30 days of your program before you withdraw, you will not receive any Direct Loan funds that you would have received had you remained enrolled past the 30th day.

If you receive (or Delgado or parent receive on your behalf) excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, Delgado must return a portion of the excess funds equal to the lesser of:

  1. your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or
  2. the entire amount of excess funds.

When Delgado is not required to return all of the excess funds, you may be required to return the remaining amount.

For any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a Direct PLUS Loan) will repay the loan funds in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you will not be required to repay any loan funds immediately, but instead, you will make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you received or were scheduled to receive. You do not have to repay a grant overpayment if the original amount of the overpayment is $50 or less. You must make arrangements with Delgado or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy that Delgado has. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. Delgado may also charge you for any Title IV program funds that the College was required to return. Visit Delgado’s tuition adjustment website for more information. Information on withdrawing from Delgado can be found in the Handbook.

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at https://studentaid.gov

Information provided to fulfill 34 CFR 668.22 Consumer Information requirements